Hi, my name is Glenn Wright and I'm a data scientist by trade, but not all of my projects are data science projects.
An experimental project using deep convolutional networks. It is based on Google's DeepDream program and was written using the SciPy ecosystem and Keras. The original DeepDream program is infamous for generating images of "dogslugs", because the network was trained on an dataset that has images of many different breeds of dogs. I wondered if it might be possible to generate "catslugs" by retuning the network on different data - specifically, the cat breed images from the Oxford-IIIT Pet Dataset.
The project is complete. Ultimately, the output was a bit disappointing - it was noticeably less doglike than the original DeepDream images, but did not produce "catslugs". Nevertheless, I learned a great deal about constructing and training deep neural networks. I discuss possible reasons for the disappointing output here.
A text mining project using the SciPy ecosystem, based on data from the Erowid Experience Vaults. The original plan was to create word clouds based on distinctive terms associated with different pharmaceuticals, then commission artists to illustrate the word clouds by hand. Eventually, I discovered that a fairly similar project had been done for Rehabs.com, and abandoned the project. I did, however, learn a great deal about topic modeling, clustering, Doc2vec, tf-idf, and other methods of data reduction for text mining, which was the other main goal of the project.
Processing code for my relatively popular Instructable. The instructable contains instructions for generating images of snowflakes, each one unique, and converting them to vector diagrams using Inkscape, compatible with most laser cutters. The snowflakes are generated using an algorithm loosely inspired by randomized L-systems. The project is complete.
Code for three projects using the Arduino-compatible Teensy microcontroller and various motion sensors (accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses) to create motion-sensitive LED flow props. Projects are complete. Code is written in a subset of C++.
Two simple mod packs, written in Lua, for the Klei Entertainment games Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together. One is complete and available on Steam Workshop; the other is in development.
Preliminary code for a project with GitHub user Brigid Rose. The goal is to use ocean temperature trend data to control colored LEDs on a sculpture of coral, to illustrate how climate change contributes to the problem of coral bleaching. Project is in progress.